Wednesday, July 29, 2009

I'm addicted to camping


I had a great conversation with my good friend Amy yesterday about my obsession with camping. You see, just two short years ago I was yearning to camp with my sons but I lacked the equipment or the spousal support I felt was necessary to get started. Fortunately, I did some research and found an incredible program through the city of Phoenix called Camp Colley and they had just launched their first season of family campouts. Talk about luck! Not only were the employees and volunteers wonderful, but the entire weekend experience sealed the deal for good...I just had to continue camping with my boys!


We came home from that trip on a high so I ventured out to purchase our first tent (on sale at Target). We now refer to that huge monstrosity as "the condo". I then "informed" my husband that we would be going camping with Amy's family over Labor Day Weekend (he hadn't joined us at Camp Colley). At first he gave me a resounding "I'm not going camping...I hate to camp" but eventually he came to realize that if he wanted to keep peace in the house he'd have to come along and play nice.


We joined Amy's family and some friends of theirs out in the Coconino National Forest near Happy Jack for a weekend of fun, adventure and relaxation away from the heat and all things electronic. My husband was pleasantly surprised by how much fun he had...and the kids entertained themselves by building forts, climbing trees, playing in the dirt or simply exploring. I knew then that we were hooked for good.

From then on I began to acquire additional camping gear (cook stove for our anniversary, sleeping bags for Christmas, etc), plus I realized that there are plenty of things you can bring from home if you're driving and you have space.


The whole idea is to simply get out in nature enjoy the simple things...and don't try to complicate it any further than that. It's tougher than it sounds for some :)

No comments: