Thursday, August 27, 2009

Love your TREE!

Almost 4 years ago I developed what my mom calls "a tree fetish". I've always loved trees, but after attending one of the most entertaining live shows I've ever been to I left with a new appreciation for trees.

Eve Ensler's show "The Good Body" was a collection of monologues she performed after traveling all over the world to find out if women outside of the US had such extreme issues with their bodies as we American's do. What is it with women...we all hate something about our bodies? I've always hated my stomach. It's never been flat but instead more rounded with rolls that fluctuate in size throughout the month. Eve hates her stomach too so when she spoke of this I laughed so hard I cried. If she ever came back to Scottsdale I know I could singlehandedly sell out one of her shows just through word of mouth!

My favorite part of the play is when she tells the story of walking with an African woman and asking her if she loved her body. The woman clearly thought it was a weird question, but when she asked it back to Ensler, Eve had an answer all ready, about how she hated her stomach pouch (just like me). After expressing to Eve how each of her body parts had a purpose...strong legs to wrap around a man while making love or to carry her to get water, breasts to give her children life, strong arms to work hard in the fields, etc. Then the woman pointed out two trees on the road and asked Eve to compare them. Was one prettier than the other? Of course they're both beautiful, they're trees... they're different, yes, but... She told Ensler, "I'm a tree. You're a tree. You've got to love your tree."

I had a profound reaction to this idea...that we're all trees, beautiful and unique. I've embraced this idea and even intend to get a tree tattoo on my back soon. I have the design all picked out. Extreme yes...but a good reminder I can live with for the rest of my life.

I took the tree photo above inside Arches National Park this summer. I love this beautiful tree. I turned the photo into a 16 x 20 canvas poster with the following quote: "I willingly confess to so great a partiality for trees as tempts me to respect a man in exact proportion to his respect for them." by James Russell Lowell. I guess that says it all!

No comments: