Tuesday, August 4, 2009

PBS to air National Parks Special in Sept.

Last summer my love of the National Parks system emerged. After purchasing an America the Beautiful pass I took my boys on our first summer adventure, not really sure what to expect. The only National Park I'd visited prior to this was Rocky Mountain National Park in CO and honestly, at the time I don't think it even occured to me that it was a National Park. Sad but true, but it meant very little to me at the time.

During our weeklong adventure we camped at the Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce and Capitol Reef (pictured at left) and it was truly the most incredible experience I'd ever had with my boys. We hiked, we played, we watched sunsets, we took photos, we sat by campfires, we slept in tents, we ate s'mores, we played in rivers, we explored and more importantly...we bonded. I knew I just had to continue introducing them to these breathtaking parks that our forefathers worked so hard to protect. People like John Muir, Galen Clark and John Wesley Powell spent their lives exploring these lands and helped establish the conservation and preservation systems that are still in place today. Where would we be without their hard work?

I've made it my mission to expose my boys to as many of these parks as possible. Sammy even suggested that we try to visit them all by the time he graduates from high school. It's a rather lofty goal, but it won't hurt to try (there are over 400 parks and monuments). This summer we visited Yosemite, Sequoia, Arches and Canyonlands. Next summer I hope to head north to Yellowstone, Glacier, Wind Caves and Badlands. Maybe we'll visit a fefw in between too.

I'm excited because there's a special PBS program scheduled to air in Sept. called The National Parks: America's Best Idea. Here's the link if you'd like to bookmark it and be sure to sign up for their updates...I figure at least then they'll remind me when it gets closer so I can TiVo it. I'm sure it'll be amazing and educational. I think I'll have the kids watch it with me.


I'm going to close with a cool quote I found today...I wish I had such an eloquent way with words.

One day I undertook a tour through the country, and the diversity and beauties of nature I met with in this charming season, expelled every gloomy and vexatious thought.

No comments: