Tuesday, July 5, 2011

And finally the rain comes!

Yes, it's finally raining at my house!  In Arizona I've learned to love and appreciate monsoon rainstorms because we desperately need the precipitation.  I'll take it however I can get it!  During monsoon these rainstorms often arrive with a vengeance.  The other night Mesa had snapped power poles from a microburst.  There are even special laws put in place such as the "stupid motorist law" which punishes people who ignore posted signs warning against crossing high water in their vehicle.  Should they get stuck and need rescuing they can potentially be charged for the rescue and be humiliated when they make the local news.  I must admit I've had a vehicle stall in high water in the past.  Fortunately it restarted and I was able to drive through the high water.  This is not something I'd ever like to repeat in this lifetime though.  Scary to say the least!
This thunderstorm wasn't from tonight but is still beautiful.
I can hear the wind howling outside and the large drops slamming the exposed window where the screen has fallen off.  It doesn't normally last long but it comes down hard and fast accompanied by heavy winds and cracking thunder.  I'd love to sleep to this sound all night long...but alas the storm is already passing.  I guess I'll just have to switch my sound machine from "babbling brook" to "thunderstorm" for the night.

Happy 4th of July everyone!!

No comments: