Sunday, September 11, 2011

Nature's Water Park

This summer I bought water park season passes for me and my kids at $50 a  pop.  I thought for sure we'd use them to help us get through another Arizona summer.  I even suggested that a couple of my girlfriends buy them too.  We'd all go together, right?  Wrong.

Fortunately, the boys did go about a half dozen times with their dad.  I took them once on a Friday night for the dive-in movie.  The crowd was unreal, the lines were outrageous and the food was unbelievably expensive and unhealthy.  It was seriously like a form of torture for me to get through the night.  I think we only rode 4 slides in the 4 hours that we were there and I dropped nearly $30 on dinner.

I never went back this summer and I have no interest in ever going again.  Sorry kids.  I know they had fun but it's just not for me.  I don't have the patience to stand in long lines where the payoff only lasts 30 seconds.


But, twice this summer I took the kids to Fossil Creek outside of Strawberry, AZ.  Talk about a water park! This beautiful natural spring set in a lush, green canyon is truly one of the most beautiful places in Arizona! Who needs a water park when you have places like this to visit and spend the day.  I'd much rather spend my money on the gas to get there!

I don't normally enjoy swimming all that much.  I more prefer to sit on the side and watch the kids splash and play.  But, at Fossil Creek you can't help but feel like a kid again.  I found myself jumping off of cliffs into deep blue pools, borrowing child sized goggles to get a better look at all the native fish so visible in the clear waters and simply relaxing and listening to the glorious sounds of the area.  The rushing water splashing over the rocks, the loud buzz of the cicada's and the glorious sound of children laughing and playing.  I look forward to returning again and again to Nature's Water Park!

3 comments:

Mystial Batwoman said...

Holly this looks Soooo fun! And no lines woohooo!

benson don said...

Peppa Pig

This wonderful normal springtime set in a rich, normal canyn is truly one of the most wonderful places in Arizona!

Reads, Rants, Raves and Reviews said...

I'm new to the area - do you just pull over and dive in or what!?