Monday, October 3, 2011

Through the eyes of a child...

As I was hiking this weekend a small caterpillar crawling on the ground near my feet caught my eye.  I immediately stopped to observe and said out loud "Thanks Jack!"  I was referring to my 8 year old son who's constantly discovering tiny little creatures right at his feet.  When he makes these discoveries, he immediately stops in his tracks and takes the time to observe and investigate whatever he's found. A few of these furry little friends have become reluctant "pets" providing hours of entertainment before being released back into the wild.  While Jack wasn't with me on this hike, seeing the caterpillar reminded me of a recent epiphany I'd shared with him.  

I'm an avid photographer always scanning the horizon for the perfect shot. I'm quite observant, taking in the details of nature that surround me; everything from colors to textures draw my attention. But, I've come to realize that I'm often so caught up in the bigger picture that I sometimes miss the tiny details right in front of me.  Jack has taught me to slow down and pay more attention to my surroundings.  And the shift has been amazing! I love sharing my tiny discoveries with those around me and of course I also love photographing them.  But I'll be honest, more often than not it's my boys spotting the really cool stuff.  I guess I'm just lucky to have such amazing kids as my tour guides!

1 comment:

smee said...

I think the same of my little boy Parker I always call him mr. perceptive as he sees all
the small stuff. I work for Sir Bounce Alot and whenever he goes to work with me he will spot out the littlest piece of dirt and clean that.